Search engine optimization which involve a number of stages and need time to develop. While making a site, consider the following points :
Do’s of SEO
- Relevant and quality content
- Site should be theme oriented; carefully examine the theme of your site and analyze keywords according to that theme.
- Do a research on keywords.
- A clear and prominent Navigation having organized and consistent links arranged in the order of importance on every page at the same location and in the same sequence.
- Use HTML and make sure that your HTML code is correct. The more perfect your HTML code is, the more likely a search engine is to rank it higher.
- Use Meta tags for title, keywords and description to their full value and match keywords that appear in the body of the page.
- Website structure should be easy to read, remove unwanted tags and put java script and CSS into external file.
- Check the size of each page. Keep the size limited to 200 KB of graphics and graphic size to 30 KB to 50 KB and check the download time of a page on different browsers. Download time should not be more than 15 minutes, otherwise visitors quickly lose interest in your site.
- Analyse your competitor on points like link popularity etc.
- Quality of a Directory is judged by the quality of sites listed in it, so directory always favour quality work.
Don’ts of SEO
- Don’t use special character into your URL, because search engines usually skipped off these URLs.
- Don’t include hidden, keyword-rich text in the background of your pages. Earlier it was used as a fair standard but now search engines even penalize the sites using this tactics.
- Don’t use frames because search engines are unable to read the text within frames and so they unable to know the focus of your site and will not pick any of your content. So, avoid frames.
- Don’t do Cloaking. It is an art of delivering different content to different users based on their IP address or user-agent string. There are a few different uses for cloaking such as delivering content to people from different countries. It is also used to deliver different content to the search engines and then different content to the users. This is deemed to be unethical in the eyes of search engines as people stuff the cloaked pages with links and repeat keywords in order to rank highly, while giving the users standard looking pages.
- Don’t go for the SEOs that guarantees you no.1 position or first page ranking or the companies that promises to submit your site to ‘thousands of engines’. Also, don’t use software that automatically submits your sites on a weekly or monthly basis, since it might penalize you in the long run.
- Avoid flash technology and try to use HTML, the standard technology which most of the search engines recognize. Search engines identify sites with flash as being empty spaces.
- Avoid java script because search engines reads java script as a broken page.
- Don’t use off-topic or excessive keywords on a single page.
- Avoid duplication of content, either by excessive submission of the same page, submitting the same pages from multiple domains, or submitting the same content from multiple hosts,
- Don’t use machine-generated pages with minimal or no content, whose sole purpose is to get a user to click to another page,
- Don’t use the pages that contain only links to other pages,
- Don’t use pages whose primary intent is to redirect users to another page.